Need the perfect match for Sizzle Grove Coffee Rub? How about a dark, coffee-based, molasses-infused barbecue sauce to keep you going after a day of barbecuing and drinking beer?
Two shots of espresso, or 4-5 ounces of strong black coffee
1/2 cup ketchup
6 oz. can plain tomato sauce
1 tbsp brown mustard
1 tbsp molasses
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Chinese black vinegar (or substitute balsamic vinegar)
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp white wine or rice wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika (or regular paprika + cayenne)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic, crushed
Two thin slices of white onion, chopped fine
A dash of olive oil (or bacon fat if you have it... seriously)
1. Heat pan to medium with olive oil (or delicious, glorious bacon fat). Simmer onion and crushed garlic until well browned... give it its due time.
2. Add ketchup, mustard, and tomato sauce, stir a bit, then add brown sugar and molasses.
3. Next, add coffee and all the vinegars. Stir up again.
4. Add all spices and seasonings. Simmer for a few minutes, and stir a bit.
5. Use it that day, or jar it up and it should last a good month or two.
Yields around 3/4 to 1 cup of barbecue sauce.