Alright, so a lot of barbecuers don't specialize in health food. Well, believe it or not, we at Sizzle Grove do think about our health, and developed our own variation of baked beans made extra healthy with extra veggies and a vegetable juice-based sauce in place of a ketchup-based sauce.
3 15 oz. cans beans (whatever you prefer, we like to mix types), rinsed
1 cup tomato-based vegetable juice
1 small onion (or equivalent), fine chopped
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, coarse chopped
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp oregano
Tiny pinch of thyme
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika (or mix of paprika and cayenne)
1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
1. Heat a saucepan to medium with a couple tablespoons olive oil & add onions.
2. Simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring until onions are reduced and well browned.
3. Add green bell peppers, garlic, and vegetable juice. Let simmer until juice reduces to a sauce-like consistency.
4. Add all other seasonings, sugar, and soy sauce.
5. Put on low simmer, close lid for about an hour until everything softens. If liquidy, just simmer with lid open for the last 15 minutes.
**For an extra awesome flavor, cook these beans in a cast iron skillet or pan right on your smoker!!