What we find pairs best with certain types of barbecue, rather than a thick typical barbecue sauce, is a nice hot sauce. Smoked chicken wings, brisket, and sausages are particularly delicious with a nice dab of hot sauce.
Most people don't realize it, but hot sauce can be made at home. All you need is some chili peppers, water, salt, and vinegar. However, other ingredients may be included too, such as garlic, onions, a bit of sugar, and even pureed carrots for some sweetness.
Here's how Sizzle Grove's Thai chili hot sauce is made:
1. In a saucepan, put about 20 thai chilis (stems removed), plus one garlic clove, in a half a cup of water and a half a cup of vinegar.
2. Add two teaspoons of salt and one teaspoon of sugar.
3. Bring these to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes until everything softens.
4. Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor which has proper ventilation at the top for handling hot liquids. Add about a quarter cup each of fresh cold water and vinegar, in order to help bring the temperature down.
5. Puree until smooth. Some tiny bits of chilis or garlic in your sauce is fine... gives it character.
6. Funnel your sauce into a glass storage container, and keep in the fridge. This will keep almost indefinitely!
Send us your hot sauce recipes, or your results from trying this one out!